If there’s one dessert that never fails to delight, it’s a classic chocolate sponge cake. With its moist and fluffy texture and rich chocolate flavour, this timeless treat is perfect for any occasion. Whether you’re a baking enthusiast or a beginner in the kitchen, making a delicious chocolate sponge cake is much easier than you think. At Mama Mia, we’re excited to share our favourite recipe with you, so let’s roll up our sleeves and get baking!
To create the perfect chocolate sponge cake, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 and 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- Preheat and Prepare: Begin by preheating your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and line two 9-inch round cake pans with parchment paper, ensuring the sides are also greased.
- Mix the Dry Ingredients: In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Make sure the dry ingredients are well combined to ensure an even rise and texture in your cake.
- Add Wet Ingredients: In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, vegetable oil, and pure vanilla extract until well combined. Slowly pour the wet mixture into the dry ingredients, stirring gently until the batter is smooth and no lumps remain.
- Incorporate the Boiling Water: This step is crucial to achieving a moist and tender sponge cake. Carefully pour the boiling water into the batter and stir until it’s fully incorporated. Don’t worry if the batter seems a little thin; this is what will give your cake its light and airy texture.
- Bake to Perfection: Divide the batter evenly between the prepared cake pans. Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cakes comes out clean. Be careful not to overbake, as this can result in a dry cake.
- Cool and Frost: Allow the cakes to cool in the pans for 10 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely. Once cooled, you can frost your chocolate sponge cake with your favourite frosting or simply dust it with powdered sugar for an easy, elegant touch.
Congratulations! You’ve just made a delicious chocolate sponge cake that’s sure to impress your friends and family. This classic recipe is a true crowd-pleaser and a perfect dessert for any occasion. With its moist texture and rich chocolate flavour, it’s bound to leave everyone asking for seconds. So why wait? Gather your ingredients and start baking this delightful treat that will surely become a family favourite. And hey, don’t forget to post a picture and tag us on Instagram if you try this recipe out.