Who has ever said no to a freshly baked, warm, and soft Vanilla Cake, for it has been a classic since the ages that hasn’t failed to delight. As we say our goodbyes to the year passing, imagine welcoming the promising year ahead with the beautiful aroma of freshly baked homemade desserts for loved ones and embracing the excitement of a fresh start. We at Mama Mia bring to you, a delightful homemade Vanilla Cake recipe that is promised to be the star of your New Year’s Eve gathering!
Unveiling the Perfect Vanilla Cake Recipe:
The classic Vanilla Cake recipe has been passed down through the ages and still proves to be a magical addition that is timeless and charming enough for whatever the occasion calls for. So, bring out your baking dishes, and together let’s put this classic celebratory treat together that no one can get enough of.
Ingredients for Joy:
For the Cake:
– 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour.
– 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder.
– 3/4 teaspoon salt.
– 3/4 cup unsalted butter at room temperature.
– 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar.
– 3 large eggs at room temperature.
– 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract.
– 1 cup buttermilk or whole milk, room temperature.
For the Frosting:
– 2 cups of unsalted butter, softened.
– 300g sugar icing.
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
– 2 tablespoons milk.
Baking Magic Step-by-Step:
Preparing the Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour two 8″ cake rounds and line with parchment.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, and salt until well combined. Set aside.
- Using a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar on med-high until pale and fluffy (about 3 minutes). Reduce speed and add eggs one at a time fully incorporating after each addition. Add vanilla.
- Alternate adding flour mixture and buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour (3 additions of flour and 2 of milk). Fully incorporating after each addition.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out mostly clean.
- Place cakes on a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes then turn out onto the wire rack.
Crafting the Frosting:
- Place egg whites and sugar into the bowl of a stand mixer, and whisk until combined.
- Place bowl over a pot with 1-2″ of simmering water and whisk constantly until the mixture is hot and no longer grainy to the touch or reads 160F on a candy thermometer (approx. 3 minutes)
- Place bowl on your stand mixer and whisk on med-high until the meringue is stiff and cooled (the bowl is no longer warm to the touch (approx. 5-10 minutes).
- Switch to paddle attachment. Slowly add cubed butter and mix until smooth.
- Add vanilla and whip until smooth.
Bringing It All Together:
- Once the cakes are completely cooled, spread a generous layer of frosting over the top of one cake.
- Carefully place the second cake on top and spread the remaining frosting over the top and sides.
- Get creative with decorations! Add sprinkles, fresh berries, or edible flowers for crafting the ultimate festive treat to share with your loved ones.
Elevate Your Celebration:
With its outstanding vanilla flavour, pillow-soft crumb, and rich creamy frosting, it is bound to be the perfect centrepiece for your New Year’s Eve. A touch of homemade goodness to your selection of celebratory treats would be delightful to usher in the festivities and this delicious cake would do just that.
Baking at home is always the most rewarding way to blow off some steam and just imagining the joy on the faces of everyone you share a slice of goodness with fires up excitement. So let the freshly baked aroma of this delicious cake be the witness to all the warmth and embrace you share this New Year’s Eve with everyone, put in a slice of your own take of a homemade dessert.